Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Furman Engaged

I am really not sure why they call it Furman engaged. That is certainly not the adjective that I would use to describe my time today. I went into the PAC with some players on the soccer team because we were told that we could get out body fat and bone density calculated in the BodPod and the DEXA machine. It is always interesting to see your body composition as an athlete, so you can see what you need to work on to stay healthy. So we get to the testing room and spend thirty minutes listening to how the device works, as if we would ever need to operate it. Then two demonstrations are done, and the show is over. I was super disappointed that I had just wasted my time at a terribly disengaging explanation of two health science machines. The tests themselves were not even that accurate. The machines combined cost $200,000, and they have a %2 margin of error. So essentially, one student paid Furman over four years for those two machines through tuition, and they can't even get a completely accurate reading? Furman should really have spent that money better because skin folds cost significantly less than that and only have a %5 error. Basically what I learned today was that money was not well spent and health science is really boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment