Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Kat Response

Studying abroad is a great opportunity for many people, as it does help you learn a new language and develop new relationships, but is it really worth it for everyone? I say that it really depends. If you are going to major in a foreign language, then studying abroad in that country is definitely worth it because you will become exponentially more proficient in that language. I do not really get the point in only majoring in another language to begin with, as you can just as easily go and learn the language in the country and major in something else. This would be much more helpful in the job market, but this is an entirely different issue. If you are going to major in international business, then studying abroad is a really good thing to do, especially if you can get an internship while in another place. I am sure that I am missing some majors where studying abroad is incredibly beneficial, so I am sorry. But other than those two majors, studying abroad is not quite that beneficial for you. That being said, studying abroad from what I have heard is an incredibly amazing experience. There is a really big difference studying abroad being super helpful and being super cool. College is a time unlike any other where you can do things like studying abroad, so if you have to opportunity I would do it, but it may come with some consequences.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very interesting distinction--the super useful v. the super cool. It's true that I studied Spanish seriously, and therefore it was super useful for me to study abroad. However, as an English professor, Spanish has not been as useful as maybe it could be otherwise. It's really hard to say though. The super cool is always potentially super useful, if you make the right circumstances. I think it's hard to say whether I would have nearly the proficiency in English I do not having learned Spanish starting in the sixth grade. So I say, go after that super cool experience. Even if you aren't sure if you'll ever "use it," it will affect your life in ways you can't totally foresee.

    ReplyDelete